New Delhi: Police have made arrests for suspected links between Mumbai terror attacks and US embassy in India

The Indian authorities have made a major breakthrough in their investigation into the twin terror attacks in Mumbai last month that killed 166 people.

The authorities arrested a man from Hyderabad in connection with the attacks and charged him with the commission of murder.

The police said the suspect had fled to Pakistan on Tuesday and was arrested later on Wednesday.

The suspect, who was aged between 25 and 30, has confessed to the murders, a senior police official told the Associated Press news agency.

The government also launched a nationwide operation on Tuesday to trace the people involved in the attacks.

The operation involved the arrests of several suspects in the state of Maharashtra, including an alleged accomplice of the suspect, the police official said.

The attack on the international airport, a main transit hub for passengers from across the Indian Ocean, led to the deaths of 166 people and injured more than 1,000 others.

Police have so far arrested more than 2,000 people, including many Indian nationals, for suspected involvement in the attack.

The Mumbai terror attack that killed the 166 people on December 8, 2016, was the deadliest on Indian soil since the 2007 Mumbai attacks that killed 257 people.